1. What makes Bernstein & Associates comprehensive course a better choice to prepare me for the police promotional exam?
- Have access to Dr. Bernstein for consultation on the new Bernstein Assessment Test
- Be shown exactly what you need to study now for the new test, not the old one!
- Comprehensive dual track course (includes video assessment review for Sergeant, and oral assessment review for Captain
- Locations - South Jersey at Elm Fire Hall in Hammonton (Sunday & Monday) and North Jersey at Westwood in Garwood (Tuesday & Wednesday). AM and PM sessions - Night class is a repeat of the day class. Another North Jersey at NJIT in Newark (Saturday) 9am to 5pm
- Learn about newly tested work sample areas from recent exams
- Be shown how to develop a study plan for the Bernstein Assessment Test
- Learn which key management principles frequently appear on the written and assessment exams
- Best instructors e.g. Bernstein, Bartuccio, Talalai, Dowd, Brightman, Ely, Verticelli
- See which AG Guidelines, 2C statutes and legal cases routinely appear on the written and assessment exam
- Receive email updates and practice questions on the new exam
- All books provided e.g. textbooks, AG, 2C, Case Law, etc. (AG & 2C are pre-highlighted)
- Take home Bernstein bullets on AG Guidelines, textbooks and Case Law
- AG, 2C and Case Law audio files for your smart device
- Results - We are the only company with Video and Oral Assessment Test results!
- Dr. Bernstein will prepare you for the new exam, not the old one!
2. How did the police promotional lawsuit affect the promotional exam?
The format and content for the sergeant's exam has changed. It is now more like what is done in Miami, Chicago, and New Orleans. These are all places where police departments were forced to make changes in the police promotional exams. As Dr. Bernstein has taught classes in Miami, Chicago, and New Orleans, the Bernstein students were well prepared for the new exam. If you decide to study with us this year in our comprehensive course, you will be prepared for the new Sergeant, Lieutenant and Captain's exam
3. What is the new work sample assessment test?
Work samples are the kinds of things supervisors have to deal with in the real world. Some involve things that a supervisor does every day e.g. high frequency items - reports, letters, memos, emails, wanted flyers, schedules, etc.
Others involve situations where it is of critical importance for a supervisor to respond to e.g. highly critical items - officer involved shootings, hazmat incidents, pursuits, sexual harassment, bias incidents, terrorist attacks, etc.
When I developed the original Bernstein Work Sample Assessment Test, I made up test items involving all these things. In New Jersey a major incident is referred to as a "Bernstein."
4. What about schools run by instructors who have no knowledge about the new test?
There are schools out there that were good on the old multiple choice test, but have no clue about the new test changes. They offer 5,000 outdated multiple choice questions that are no longer going to be used. The Bernstein course involves a review of every area
tested on the promotional exam!
Candidates should ask themselves, “Who is best qualified to prepare me for the Bernstein Assessment type test?” The answer should be easy. Before you pay as much as $2,550, learn more about the projected new test. Click here to register for the police promotional comprehensive course
When an exam format is changed, it's always controversial. Change is scary for most cops. Try and look at it this way. It doesn't matter if you like the new test or not. It doesn't matter if I like it or if the State of New Jersey likes it. In my 30 years of testing experience, if the U.S. Justice Department demands a test be changed, it always is! Psychologists believe the Bernstein Work Sample Test is more fair and valid than a multiple choice book test. So, get ready for it. It's here now!
5. What is the New Jersey Civil Service Commission (CSC) Police Promotional exam schedule for 2017?
Police Lieutenant and Captain - July 1st application and a tentative test date of October 2017.
Police Sergeant - July 1st application and a tentative test date of October 2017.
6. When & where will the Bernstein Police Promotional preparation classes be held?
Comprehensive Police Promotional Exam Review Course for Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain, Deputy Chief, Chief
July - August - September - October
Early Registration Rate - $2,400, if paid prior to April 30th, 2017
SOUTH - Elm Fire Hall, Hammonton
Sunday and Monday
9am-1pm or 6pm-10pm
NORTH - The Westwood, Garwood
Tuesday and Wednesday
9am-1pm or 6pm-10pm
NORTH - NJIT, Newark
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Regular Course Fee - $2,550
7. What days are classes typically held on?
They are usually held on Sunday & Monday in the South from 9am - 1pm or 6pm - 10pm, Tuesday & Wednesday in the North Westwood from 9am - 1pm or 6pm - 10pm, and Saturday in the North NJIT from 9am to 5pm.
8. Were there work sample questions on the most recent CSC police promotional exams?
Yes, there were a number of work sample questions.
9. Were these areas covered in your comprehensive class?
Yes, our instructors reviewed the areas that were tested. Bernstein students felt well prepared.
10. What do I need to read now?
You should begin with the Attorney General Guidelines, NJ Criminal Code (2C) and Case Law.
11. What materials do you provide in your training?
You will be given the Bernstein Review materials which cover the new work sample test, sergeants video test, lieutenants and captains management textbook, AG Guidelines, N. J. Law (Criminal Code 2C), and Case Law. Additionally, you will be given the Bernstein breakdowns for all books and materials on the reading list. Finally, you will get an audio version of selected 2C, AG Guidelines and Case Law for your smart devices.
12. Do I need to buy books on the reading list?
No, all books are provided for you. The most important resource is the Bernstein training materials, which are only available to Bernstein students!
13. How have the results been from your test preparation training?
14. There are so many books to read on the reading lists, how do you cover all these books?
First, Dr. Bernstein reads each book. He determines which areas in the book have the highest probability for test questions. A former Civil Service test writer reads the textbook next. Then our instructors read each book. Then, our instructors take you through each book line by line and page by page. After reviewing you on the books, we then test you over and over. Then we give you the "Bernstein Bullets" which are like cliff or spark notes to study.
15. Why should I attend a training program sponsored by Bernstein & Associates?
- Bernstein & Associates will teach you a specific strategy for each part of the police sergeant, lieutenant, and captain's test. e.g. sergeants video, captains oral assessment, management textbook, legal, scheduling, as well as the sergeant, lieutenant & captain work samples, etc.
- Bernstein & Associates will give you a number of items on the reading list for free, e.g. Bernstein text book breakdowns, 2C, AG Guidelines, Constitutional Amendments, Case Law, Title 39, School Search Policy, and more.
- Our candidates have consistently scored higher on the new promotional test than their competition, including those who have attended other training programs. We have done preparation on the new work sample test all over the country where its used!
- Dr. Bernstein, Capt. Bartuccio, Capt. Talalai, Chief Quatrone, Chief Dowd, Municipal Prosecutor Wenger, Chief Ferrante, Chief Scianni, Police Director Ely and Capt. Verticelli will provide individualized help.
- All classes are dual track in both South & North Jersey locations and have been rated overall as excellent. (For your convenience, the morning class is repeated at night.)
- P.B.A. members and F.O.P. members have recommended and continue to endorse this work sample test training to their family and friends.
- Candidates will receive select audio files for their smart devices, as well as work sample email updates and test questions.
- Candidates will receive an updated, comprehensive notebook with carefully designed training materials and practice exams TO TAKE HOME.
- Throughout the course, all students will be continually updated and prepared for any and all changes that might occur in the law and the promotional exam process.
16. What have candidates said about the Bernstein training program?
“I am extremely impressed with the Management review. . . Your instructors Captain Mike Bartuccio and Lieutenant Frank Bialecki were dead on!” – Leona R.
“The video assessment training taught by Dr. Bernstein and Chief Dowd was outstanding, and the instructors were enthusiastic. It was the best investment I ever made.” – Will M.
“The case law was right there. . . Attorney Steve Wenger and Chief Vince Quatrone did a great job! Your management and supervision material taught by Captain Talalai was a direct hit. It was all there.” – Sloan S.
“You didn’t waste our time with a review of law books not on the reading list. Your legal review was right on, and gave me what I needed for the test, Thanks.” - Charlie S.
"I came out #1 . . . I credit Dr. Bernstein for giving me the edge over my competition. The # 2 candidate was 6 points behind me." – Neal D.
“It was nice to have Dr. Bernstein personally reviewing us on the video test. I knew exactly what to expect!” – McKenzie M.
“Dr. Bernstein is the best guy to get you ready for the new test, and the Captain's Oral Assessment. Everything was great!” – Maggie T.
“The Book Breakdowns you gave out were outstanding. You made it so easy for us. Capt. Verticelli & Chief Dowd were fantastic. Thanks.” - Jim H.
17. What is the background of your instructors?
18. What's the new direction of the promotional exams?
Due to a lawsuit filed by the US Department of Justice, some exam formats have changed. As we are the only national test preparation company doing work in New Jersey, we are familiar with the different exam formats used throughout the country. The new test is very similar to the BERNSTEIN WORK SAMPLE ASSESSMENT TEST or B-WSAT. We will show you exactly what the work samples will look like, and how to answer the new work sample questions. The goal in answering work samples is to score points! Additionally, we review the expected changes to the exam in our comprehensive course. You should know most testing experts like a work sample assessment exam. And, Civil Service is planning to modify the police sergeants exam.
19. Can a tax deduction be taken for supervision and management training?
The Internal revenue service has ruled that a tax deduction may be taken for training that is designed to maintain or improve professional skills. Students should check with their tax advisor on this matter.
20. Can I record class lectures with my phone or recorder?
It is the policy of Bernstein & Associates, Inc. not to permit the electronic recording of any part of our training programs. All materials presented in our training sessions are protected under the copyright laws of the United States. This is done to ensure that the competitive edge remains with our students.
In a recent training session, even after being advised that recording was prohibited, one student attempted to secretly record our training. Bernstein & Associates, Inc. will prosecute anyone who illegally records any of our training sessions. This incident has necessitated the development of this written policy prohibiting all electronic recording of our training programs.
Students are advised that it is illegal to electronically record Bernstein & Associates, Inc. training sessions. Violators will be prosecuted under both criminal and civil statutes.
Bernstein & Associates, Inc. requires that all students attending our training programs acknowledge and agree to abide by this policy.
21. What is your refund policy?
Our REFUND POLICY:
(A) Candidates who cancel PRIOR to the start of the police comprehensive paid course, or prior to the start of the early 2-day 2C or AG Guidelines class and have not received any advance study materials, may receive a refund minus a non-refundable administrative fee of $250.
(B) There is NO REFUND if the candidate has already RECEIVED advance study materials OR if the study materials have ALREADY BEEN SENT to the candidate. I understand, accept & agree that once I receive advance test preparation training materials from Bernstein & Associates, I am not entitled to any refund whatsoever.
(C) There is also NO REFUND if the candidate cancels AFTER the police comprehensive paid course or early 2C or AG Guidelines classes have already started.
One additional option is that candidates may leave their monies with Bernstein & Associates and apply the entire course fee towards a future class.
22. How do i sign up for the police comprehensive paid course?